JL/JT Front Axle ARMOR KIT
- JL/JT APEX Front Axle Truss - A NEW ERA HAS BEGUN WITH THE ARRIVAL OF THE APEX TRUSS! Artec Industries is proud to announce the next generation of PATENT PENDING axle trusses. This series of trusses not only builds on our experience as the world leader in axle truss design, it brings it to a whole new level of cost savings, strength, weight savings, simplicity of installation, precision fitment, and complete axle protection never before seen in the industry. The key feature that sets the APEX truss apart is its unique peaked shape top which provides extra rigidity to the whole truss while allowing both a reduction in weight (vs using a thicker material top) and eliminating long weld seams. Previous version with long weld seams which can be lead to extra weld warping of the axle, longer install times and can be inconsistent. This peaked structure not only applies to the axle tube between the coil perches but extends underneath the coil perches as well, forming a complete truss from end to end of axle, an industry first in an OEM axle application. The JL APEX Front Axle Truss is based off of a JK APEX Truss that was secretly tested for over a year proving that even though the truss is lighter weight, the peaked structure of the truss holds up to both extreme applications and daily driving. The new JL APEX Front Axle Truss is the epitome of low cost, easy and quick to weld, simple, strong, and complete solutions for making your factory Jeep axle take more abuse than originally intended. You want easy insurance for your axle? The JL APEX Truss provides it.
- JL/JT Front LCA Skids - These heavy duty skids are designed to take serious abuse and reinforce your JL front axle lower control arm brackets. The 1/4" thick precision cut and formed components of this setup mean they'll install easily and protect your brackets and lower control arms.
- JL/JT Inner C Gussets - These heavy duty inner C gussets are designed to take serious abuse and reinforce your front Dana 30 or 44 JL or JT Inner C's. The 3/16" thick precision cut and formed components precisely contour and wrap around your inner c and add rigidity.
- (Optional) JL Shield - The NEW JEEP JL front axle now includes a new Center Axle Disconnect (CAD or Front Axle Disconnect FAD) system for improved fuel efficiency. This new inclusion on the axle features a very thin sheetmetal skid plate from the factory which is prone to bending and denting, not to mention being a rock magnet itself. Artec Industries is the FIRST COMPANY TO ADDRESS THIS VULNERABLE PART. Our new JL SHIELD is constructed from HEAVY DUTY 1/4" thick steel...twice the thickness of the OEM skid plate. The new design also uses countersunk flat head bolts for improved smoothness on the bottom...meaning you'll have less edges to catch on rocks. To improve the smoothness, we've eliminated unnecessary edges and extended the leading edge to the front of the axle and included an angled flange to protect the axle and allow rocks to glide under. The JL SHIELD is fully welded and hard powdercoated for direct bolt-on installation and a long life.
- PATENT PENDING APEX truss peaked top design provides more rigidity than a flat top truss design
- Truss is CNC Precision Laser cut in-house from 1/8" mild steel for a lightweight yet strong solution...only 6 lbs
- Truss is CNC Precision Bent in-house for a great fitment. Literally drop the truss in place on the axle and it's ready to weld. No puzzle piece assembling*
- Designed used 3D models directly from Dana Corp and Jeep for not only an amazing fit but clearances with surrounding components
- 70% less welding needed than previous truss designs means less warping, faster turnaround, and lower costs
- All long seams are bent so you don't need to spend time welding them together
- APEX design continues under the OEM coil buckets for complete end-to-end axle reinforcement...an industry first
- Dimpled holes provide not only weight reduction but rigidity and strength
- Contours both the cast steel differential and FAD (front axle disconnect) and can be welded with normal MIG welder and moderate pre-heating and post-heating
- Provides worry-free wheeling of up to 40 inch tires on stock JL axles**
- Bridges the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD/CAD) which has shown to be one of the weakest sections of the front axle
- Low Profile Design doesn't go over differential and allows usage in vehicles with only slight lift***
- Front LCA Skids and Optional JL Shield made from 1/4" steel
- Inner C Gussets made from 3/16" steel
NOTE: Jeep offers many different variations on which axle housings and inner c's are offered on their vehicles. Please refer to the following diagram for details on which version to choose. If you have one model of a vehicle but have swapped in axles from another model, choose the model that the axles were originally in.
- JL3110 - Use on JL Sport/Sahara
- JL4510 - Use on JL Rubicon (US/Canada), JT Rubicon (All countries), Sport MaxTow
- JL4511 - Use on JT Sport/Overland (US/Canada), JL Rubicon (Non-US/Canada)
***THIS KIT IS INTENDED FOR VEHICLES WITH AT LEAST MINOR LIFTS (1.5"+ RECOMMENDED) AND AT LEAST 1/2" BUMP STOP EXTENSIONS. CHECK CLEARANCES BEFORE INSTALLING. NOT TESTED IN NON-US JLs or RIGHT HAND DRIVE AXLES.**
** In rare and extreme cases, the truss may come into contact with oil pan. Prior to operating the vehicle, remove the coil springs, cycle the suspension including full compression of both sides simultaneously and add bumpstop extensions to prevent damage to oil pan.
*** Axle Armor kits will not work on Non OEM Jeep Axles Example : Dana/ Spicer Ultimate44 housings, Dynatrac Pro Rock44 axles, Or G2 D44 Axles ***
Instructions coming soon
Click image above to view Installation Instructions
While we're working on the detailed instructions,here's some tips on installing your APEX truss. Refer to online pictures fororientation of the truss.
Warning: Installing this product requires Welding and Fabrication skills, If youare not confident in your abilities to complete this task please have thisinstalled at an qualified off-road shop .
Inventory all parts to ensure you have all of the correctpieces. If youare missing parts Contact Artec Industries Immediately at (855) 278-3299 M-F 8:30-5pm MST If outside of those hoursEmail us at Sales@Artecindustries.com (Please include picture of part numberlabel on box as well as your invoice number Per our Shipping service if box is damaged Keep all packaging if box isdamaged aswell as photograph the box to ensure any shipping claims can behonored )
Unpack contents of shipment. Remove axle from vehicle forbest results and easiest installation. Prior to mockup make sure axle is cleanand uninstall any oem and aftermarket bolt-on accessories that may conflictwith truss installation. Remove axle breather hose and uninstall any electriclocker wires from casting. This area will be welded so care should be taken toprevent these components for melting.
Using a marker or paint pen, indicate the areas on the axlewhere the truss touches the axle to prepare for welding. Remove truss piecesfrom axle. Using an angle grinder with either a flapper disc or wire wheelbrush, clean the surface of the axle tube, casting, upper control arm mount,and coil perch until bare steel is exposed. Clean surfaces on drivers sidecasting, tube, and coil perch in a similar fashion. Repeat step 2 and place alltruss pieces back on axle.
Prior to welding, ensure that the bottoms of all the trusspieces are in a straight line all together. The long truss can sag a littlenear the UCA mount so push down on the part over the casting and it'llstraighten out. Place tack weld on truss pieces to hold all in place. Doublecheck all truss pieces are straight.
Begin welding small strips of truss that touch the axletube. You want to move around to different parts of the axle as you weld so youdon't heat up areas too much. Place a welding blanket over welds so they do notcool too quickly.
To weld truss to cast section with best results, preheatcasting evenly around where truss contacts to approximately 400 degrees. DO NOTHEAT UNTIL GLOWING RED AS THIS MAY DAMAGE THE CASTING. Once preheated, weldtruss to casting before it cools. For best results, use a needle scaler orpeening hammer to relieve the weld directly after welding. Post heat the areato approximately the same temp you used to preheat. Wrap axle in a weldingblanket to slow the cooling process, the cooling should be slow (18-24hrs.) anduniform. (The idea behind this method is to relieve the stresses in thematerials prior to welding, and ensure that the plate steel does not coolquicker than the cast resulting in stress cracks.)
When completely cooled, check for any cracks in weldespecially around the casting. If cracks are discovered repeat the necessarysteps above, grinding out any cracked welds and prepping the area.
Remove the hub/axleshaft from Jeep as a unit With the hubsand axle shafts removed stuff some rags in axle tubes.
Remove the knucklesfrom the Vehicle . Now Remove your balljoints from the axle the Heat caused by welding the C gussets can damage the balljoints. Once the ball joints are removedweld the C gussets into place (The JL4405-3 is DriverUpper JL4501 is Passenger sideupper The JL4505-2 is driver side lowerand Jl4405-4 is passenger side lower) Then wrap in a blanket to cool slowly Once the C's are cool you can Install the ball joints we suggestfreezing them before you install and apply a thin layer of grease to helpinstall them Once the Ball joints areinstalled install the knuckles onto the axle and Remove the rags from the axletubes . Place some grease on thesplines of the axle shafts an carefullyslip the axle shafts and unit bearings into place . all of the knuckle and hubbolts to factory specs.
(Make sure you support the axleshaft as it passes into the housing and do not force it into place this couldrisk damaging the axle seals )
Use a grinder or wire wheel to clean the surface of the LCAmounts to remove any paint, rust, or debris to ensure it is ready for welding .
Place the Control arm skids on the LCA bracket and weld theminto place .Weld the open seam on theLCA skid and leave the little round holes open for Mud and water to drain from.
Once axle is ready, paint truss and axle where bare steel isexposed to prevent rusting. After paint is dry, reinstall axle breather hose,electric locker wire, and any other components. Install axle according tomanufacturers specs.